Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday, 1/18/2009

Today's Topic: "And now President Obama is using the chief executive washroom for the first time..."

The inauguration is not even occurring until Tuesday, but it has been 24 hour inauguration coverage since Saturday morning. At least today's coverage of a concert on the National Mall was probably more interesting than yesterday's coverage of the train ride from Philly to Washington DC. I myself have made this train commute on several occasions and it normally takes about an hour and a half. Despite the slow roll in Claymont, DE (where I went to elementary school) and the stop and speech in Wilmington, DE (where I grew up) and the slow roll through Edgemont, MD (which I've driven through) and another speech in Baltimore, MD (where I used to go to party during the summers!), I still think the actual coverage of the ride was only an hour and a half. The other three hours of TV coverage in between was a bunch of anchors and commentators talking about what a historic moment that is.

So I began to wonder, is the first time that Obama goes to the bathroom in the White House just as historic? And what will the coverage around that be like? My goodness, the first African American butt to hit the executive toilet off the Oval Office...the anticipation is palpable!!! I hope CNN scores an exclusive with the president so that we can all share in the historic gravitas of the occasion together.

Seriously, now, I voted for the guy and I'm a lifelong democrat, so I can appreciate how exciting this time is for the country. But we all just need to remember that he puts his pants on one leg at a time, and he's a person. This constant coverage of every move makes it even more difficult for the guy to help right this shipwrecked boat. Let's all just chill out and let him do his job.

No comments:

Post a Comment